source: xinhua; editor: shi yinglun
asia & pacific news
october 18, 2019
JALALABAD, Afghanistan, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) — The death toll from an explosion hitting a local mosque in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province soared to 62 on Friday, while 36 wounded people were shifted to hospitals, the provincial government said.
“The explosion occurred during Friday prayers in Haska Mina at midday. Some 26 wounded were transported to a regional hospital in Jalalabad city for treatment,” the government said in a statement.
The nature of the explosion was being investigated. Earlier reports said the blast was caused by two mortar shells fired by militants, killing 32 and injuring over 60 others.
No group has claimed the attack so far, but Taliban and Islamic State (IS) militants control parts of the province, 120 km east of the capital Kabul.
Provincial Governor Shah Mahmood Mayyakhil strongly condemned the attack, and instructed security forces to arrest and bring to justice the perpetrators behind the explosion.